Skip to main content

Best Buddies program highlight: Ambassadors

Best Buddies Ambassadors is one of Best Buddies programs that allows people with disabilities to be leaders in their schools and communities. Many states such as Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Wisconsin and Texas have Ambassador boards. They lead trainings about speech writing, self-advocacy and getting fit.  Ambassadors have the opportunity to attend the Best Buddies International Leadership Conference and participate in the Ambassador training tracks- Individual speaking and buddy pair speaking! 


Below are a few highlights of exceptional Buddy Ambassadors:


Wayne Reed from Best Buddies Maryland speaks on stage during Leadership Conference 2013

Buddy Ambassador Wayne Reed from Best Buddies Maryland has gone on a public speaking circuit. Wayne first spoke during Leadership Conference 2013. He shared a powerful speech about how having autism makes him feel awesome and how Best Buddies changed his life. He spoke during the Audi Best Buddies Challenge Washington, DC! He is involved in John's Hopkins University Best Buddies chapter as the Buddy Director.  

Check out Wayne's Buddy Ambassador speech from LC 2013: Wayne Reed from Best Buddies Maryland's LC 2013 speech!

Alyssa Bacher from the College of Charleston Best Buddies chapter speaks about how Best Buddies changed her life

Alyssa Bacher comes from the College of Charleston Best Buddies chapter in South Carolina. The College of Charleston Best Buddies chapter is an expansion chapter meaning that there is no state office in South Carolina. Expansion chapters are managed by Best Buddies International staff members like Katie Brydon and Michael Pearson. The College of Charleston Best Buddies chapter, where Alyssa comes from, was honored as an Outstanding Chapter during Leadership Conference 2014.  The chapter was led by Rachel Spivey, who I  met during Leadership Conference a few years ago. Rachel and I keep in touch and same with Alyssa.

Alyssa first gave her speech during Leadership Conference 2013 and he speech cultivated everyone in attendance. Check out Alyssa's speech here: Alyssa Bacher's Best Buddies speech!

Buddy Ambassador Daniel Noltemeyer hugs Best Buddies founder and chairman Anthony Kennedy Shriver when Daniel received the BBI Spirit of Courage award

Daniel Noltemeyer from Best Buddies Kentucky is the ultimate definition of a Best Buddies success story. Daniel founded Best Buddies Kentucky a few years ago with the help of his brother Patrick. To this day, Daniel works hard to keep Best Buddies programs thriving in Kentucky. Daniel serves on Best Buddies Kentucky's Advisory Board.  He raised over $1,000 for Best Buddies Kentucky's Friendship Walk in 2014. He was the the events Top Individual Fundraiser.

Daniel has spoken about Best Buddies has changed his life during the Audi Best Buddies Challenge: Hearst Castle 2009  and Dallas Gala 2009. He recently shared his powerful speech during the Best Buddies International Staff Leadership Conference. Daniel has won numerous awards for his work with Best Buddies. In July 2013, Daniel was named Best Buddies International's Spirit of Courage award recipient. He spoke about how Best Buddies impacted his life and how Anthony Kennedy Shriver is his hero. Last year Daniel won the Betty Jane France Humanitarian Award for his work with Best Buddies as a Buddy Ambassador. He bested his fellow finalists to win a $1,000 grant for Best Buddies Kentucky.  Check out this moving story about Daniel's homecoming: Heartwarming Homecoming for a Kentucky hero!





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...