Skip to main content

DISABILITY AWARENESS

These days people who have disabilities face many challenges. I have autism. Autism makes it difficult for me to be in situations where loud noise is present, difficult for me to accept constructive criticism and hard to deal with change. When there is loud noise present in a situation, I have to remove myself from the situation. When music is loud at a concert, I wear ear plugs.  For the most part, I am good at dealing with change but it can be challenging when there is a fire drill or lockdown drill at work that mess up my schedule. Having autism makes it so I LIKE to have a routine. I have gotten better with accepting criticism as a result of working at Medtronic last year and having reviews and working at CLS this year and my boss Mrs. Ehlers giving me feedback that I need to work on. The interesting thing is that when she gives me feedback I am motivated by it and instantly start working on the goals. I am a goal-driven person which has grabbed the attention of many of co-workers at Christ Lutheran School. 

My diagnosis of autism doesn't hinder me from chasing my dreams.  I want to go to college to study to teach elementary education in the future. I want to continue to speak about what it is like to have autism since I have powerful story to share. I want to continue to develop my ability to sing by singing at church on Sundays, by singing the Days of the Week and Months of the Year song with the preschool students and by singing during Time to Shine for Best Buddies Arizona. Autism also makes it so I have a 5-star photographic memory. I remember names of friends from elementary school, middle school and high school. I can also remember details of family trips when I was younger and from the past few years. As you can see having autism is not entirely a bummer for me. God made me unique in my own ways. My parents often describe me as a needle that can get between small spaces- meaning that I have the ability to spread awareness about autism to audiences that they never saw coming.

On April 2, 2016, the world will be LIGHTING IT UP BLUE in honor of AUTISM awareness. But on March 4, 2016, the students at Christ Lutheran School will be wearing blue to school to spread awareness of autism. Or I as I like to say- A diagnosis of (autism) AWESOMENESS.

One simple thing you can do when you see someone who looks different or might be being bullied by his or her friends is say hi. You can also sit with them on recess or at lunch. God calls us all to be nice.

Apple Just say hi: http://mashable.com/2015/12/08/apple-ceo-siri-cerebral-palsy/#vPRMwXvwWuqL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...