Skip to main content

A bright future

Around Labor Day Weekend 2016, my parents and I toured 29 Palms/ First Place. I knew I wanted to live there as I met some of the staff on the tour and we quickly connected! After that I had an interview at SARRC's 16th Street office and after the interview I reconnected with some of the rest of the SARRC staff who I knew through participation in past programs.

After the interview, I was accepted and my mom had to convince me to call people as I wanted to keep the announcement on the down low in case anything changed. I called my my grandparents, boyfriend and friends to let them know. I realized I had a brighter future ahead. One that consisted of independent living, making new friends and reconnecting with and getting to know new and returning staff members better.

We moved shortly after I was accepted and I felt welcomed right away. I made new friendships and developed professional relationships with staff. I also started to develop independent living skills like doing laundry, cooking my own meals and asking for help appropriately.  The first few months were rough as I did not know what to do and would often text my mom for advice. I started to ask staff for advice and help when I did not know what to do. 

Fast forward to today, I am thriving living on my own- I am almost on the second level or phase for daily checks, have passed several Uber probes and have become really social. Recently we had new freshmen students start and they often talk to me.  As we learned about in a class called PEERS for Young Adults, we trade info, discover a common in terest and trade contact info (phone number and email address) to text and email. 

I have also gone on to chase my dreams. I am currently looking for a clerical job in an office setting. I have a few job interviews coming up! I am also looking into living at First Place Phoenix! With the support of staff from SARRC, I feel like I have a new lease on life. 




To cap it all off, last week several students and staff and I planned a successful "surprise" goodbye send off for one of the staff members who is leaving. We surprised her last Friday and she told me several times this week how special she felt.  As she was talking about the party, I knew we made her feel so special and left her with a memory she'll never forget, which was our goal! We achieved our goal of honoring the staff member so what's next- no surprise parties for a while unless we find out someone else needs one. We also accomplished something that was on a post assessment which was to plan a party! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...