Skip to main content

Finding my purpose


 

Over this past year and the past few months, I have been doing endless reflection on what my purpose is both in my personal and work life.  God has revealed to me that he is working on revealing to me that he has bigger plans for my life.

One way God has revealed his purpose for me is through my job at BridgeWater! When I started my job, I was nervous and scared. I would not talk to the team. I just had a tough time knowing honestly what to do. Then in January, God placed someone very special in my professional life as a mentor. Her name is Nicolle. When she came by in January, she sought me out and we talked about our lives and families. It didn't take long for me to realize how special she is as a person. The day she came in was my boss's birthday so we sang to him. After this she proceeded to tell the team what a great addition I was to the team. 

Our mentorship has grown immensely since the first time I met her. Lately she's been there for me and trained me in new responsibilities while making sure a task list she made for me is hung up on the fridge in the kitchen.  She feels comfortable talking to me about her life, family and previous jobs with Sodexo.  To know she trusts me makes feel special. 





God has also revealed his purpose for me is through my boyfriend Adam Pitts. We've been dating for 5 years and over these five years, we've grown as a couple and have fallen deeper in love with each other. We laugh and talk together. Adam allows me to cry to hime when I need to- whether it is tears of good or bad tears. Adam and I absolutely love to attend sporting events, go bowling and hang out with each others friends and family.  There is no doubt he's truly my best friend, rock and soulmate. Every time someone asks me about him, I light up with a big smile on my face. I am forever thankful for the fact that God placed the opportunity for me to ask Adam to be my boyfriend in July 2016.  Usually, the guy begins the relationship but in this case I did. To see our relationship grow has been powerful.  Our faith in God has helped our relationship grow. We attend Scottsdale Bible Church and participate in the Special Ministries program. This amazing program is led by the Meyers family- Dave and Carolyn as well as their grown kids Brian and Megan.  We also do bible plans on the YouVersion Bible app. These plans allow us to grow our faith in God.




The last big of God's purpose is for me to keep advocating for people with disabilities. I do this through giving speeches and sharing my experiences as a person with autism. I have spoken in front of groups ranging from 100 to 3,000 people. My most resent presentation was at a First Place Community Life Event where I presented about my experiences with autism and my goals for my life personally and professionally. I advocate for those with disabilities through my blog, my personal website and my social media accounts. Yes I made my website myself. I am not done advocating until people with disabilities have the same chances to live and work independently. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...