When I was a freshmen at Chaparral High School I was officially introduced to the Best Buddies club. Best Buddies mission is to pair people with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities in one-to-one friendships. I did not know my life would change as much as it has. I have held various leadership roles for Best Buddies. I have been the Buddy Director, a Buddy Ambassador, a member of the Best Buddies Young Leaders Council and an intern two times now. Like I say below I currently intern at Best Buddies AZ's office and I did the same internship in high school!
During my sophomore year I was matched with my peer buddy (student without a disability) Elaine Helton. Elaine and I went to Country Thunder, went bowling, celebrated our birthdays together and attended Best Buddies Arizona events. We had a blast developing a lifelong friendship through two years of friendship. We got to know each others families. Elaine attended Chaparral's graduation ceremony in May 2014 to see me officially walk across the stage and accept my diploma. Recently Elaine was an intern at SARRC and one of her rotations was their Transition Academy. One day I was taking out my trash from my now former apartment and she saw me through the window. We caught up and talked about life after I took the trash out. Elaine had met some of the staff members who had told her how good I was doing.
![]() |
| Best Buddies for life: Elaine and Lindsey at 29 Palms |
This year is my 10th year in Best Buddies. I am the intent at Best Buddies Arizona currently. I am enjoying working with the staff and helping them out by completing clerical work, event prep and other things. On breaks we talk about pets and life. A few short months ago I successfully planted the seed for a partnership within GateWay Community College/First Place and Best Buddies. One of the staff members from Best Buddies Arizona visited and toured 29 Palms, our beta site for the Transition Academy, and loved it. Best Buddies is OFFICIALLY coming to GateWay Community College next semester! Most of our students from the Transition Academy are excited to participate in Best Buddies! I am a Buddy Ambassador so I have the opportunity to educate our students about the Best Buddies mission on a daily or weekly basis.
Best Buddies is truly life changing. Best Buddies is powerful. Best Buddies is acceptance. What more can you look for in an organization? Best Buddies recently launched an alumni association that I am officially part of, which allows participants like me to to network with staff and participants and have access to Best Buddies alumni events snd job opportunities! Check it out at Best Buddies Alumni! To learn more about Best Buddies visit: bestbuddies.org

Comments
Post a Comment