Skip to main content

Dating thoughts

I cannot believe it's almost been ONE year of dating Adam Pitts. Adam is my best friend, my soulmate and my supporter. 

Adam and I first met at an alumni bowling party for Chaparral High School. I knew I liked him a lot and considered him someone who was highly dateable. We exchanged cell numbers and quickly Facebook friended each other. Adam quickly became a donor of my Best Buddies fundraising efforts. He's been a donor for a few years ago.  A few months after he broke up with his now ex girlfriend.  I told him I liked him and that I wanted to date him when he became available. 


While a few months after that we started dating officially and we went on our FIRST OFFICIAL DATE at Romano's Macaroni Grill. During the date, we discovered we share the same beliefs for disability employment and inclusion. We did a photo shoot before the date so we have pictures together to celebrate life's achievements together like possibly a future engagement. 

When I moved into the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC I told him that many familiar faces were in charge of the program or at least helping with it. We both discovered we knew some of the same staff members.  Adam was a client of SARRC's employment services program several years ago so he was job coached by a few of the staff who now help at First Place! 



In October 2017, the 2017 Autism Speakers walk in partnership with SARRC will be an event we look forward to. Several students from First Place will be joining me and Adam's team!  Last year at the walk Adam met a few SARRC staff members who I have known for years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...