Skip to main content

The power of connection


 

We are in times when connection is extremely important. One thing I have learned is just because someone is more reserved or quiet it doesn't mean that they don't want a connection.  

Right now there is one group of people longing for connection. It's seniors. The residents I work with three days a week are still very isolated. They talk to the team often. Often times when I leave work, the residents will come downstairs in the lobby and talk to me. For me it is these conversations that remind me why I love my job.  A few months ago, one of the the residents asked me if I worked in the dietary department and I said yes. He said for his first job he was a server.  Conversations like this will forever be remembered. Knowing these residents makes me motivated to try my best at work and in the words of our food and facilities management company Sodexo: Make meal time enjoyable! 

I am a person who values connection. I value connections with my family, friends, mentors and of course my boyfriend Adam.  


Here are some stories of mentors who I have talked to: 

A few months ago, I talked to my close friend and mentor Trevor for an hour and a half. We just talked about everything ranging from life to work. He filled me in about his life and I talked to him about what was new in my life. Trevor and I have known each other for many years through Best Buddies and with this connection he knows my family and Adam. 

I am lucky to say I still keep in touch with my former supervisors Ellen and Kristi. We text about our families, lives and work. We're hoping to get our first quarterly lunch in the coming months when this pandemic winds down. They are no doubt mentors to me. Also Ellen and my current boss Keith have have same last name. This being the only way I remember their last names.

The last story of a mentor who I enjoy seeing is our area GM for Solterra Nicolle. She came by BridgeWater Midtown in January and we caught up. I learned she's from Chicago. She has since become a mentor to me. She looks for me when she comes by since she knows I will give her a warm welcome.  Since this connection formed, my manager has started to open up to me, which I know is a BIG step. 

People often love being about their 

  1. Families
  2. Life 
  3. Sports


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Barriers: My journey to employment

October is  National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)  — a time to celebrate the importance of creating inclusive workplaces for people with disabilities. This year's NDEAM theme,  “Celebrating the Value and Talent,”  highlights the unique gifts and strengths individuals with disabilities bring to the workplace. As an individual with autism, I’ve experienced firsthand the benefits of inclusive workplaces that help me grow in my independence and optimize my potential. The journey, however, hasn’t always been easy. The roller coaster began with trying to secure the services I needed to thrive at work. When I applied to work at Christ Lutheran School as a preschool aide, I faced the barrier of obtaining Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services. I’ll never forget what the VR counselor told me:  “You will NEVER work in competitive integrated employment.”  Hearing those words was heartbreaking. For a moment, I doubted my potential to work and earn a m...

Life On the Spectrum: My Independent Living Story

My name is Lindsey Eaton and I have autism. Autism makes my life challenging.  I struggle to deal with change, take feedback and make friends.  When I was in high school, I remember vividly watching my sisters head to college. My sister Molly first at the University of San Diego. Then my sister Kate at Texas Christian University. While I was thrilled for them, I wondered if I would live independently or stay at my parents house forever.  I started to receive habilitation services through Arion Care Solutions and HOPE Group. I had providers from agencies work with me independent living goals like cooking, budgeting and meal planning once a week at my parents house.  These once- a- week sessions were a highlight of my work.  In 2016, my parents and I found out about the First Place Transition Academy, operated by SARRC, which at the time was located at 29 Palms, a senior living facility. Transit...

Understanding Autism

Love. Hope. Accept. Accept. Educate. Empower. These are common sayings related to Autism Awareness. Even though April is usually associated with Autism Acceptance and Awareness Month, Autism Acceptance and Awareness can also last into all year long.  When I was 15 years old, I was officially diagnosed with autism. Before I was diagnosed, I started to experience typical signs related to autism such as a difficultly making and keeping friends, challenges with socialization and black-and-white thinking, so when I officially got diagnosed I was relieved. The journey begun right away for me to educate those who love me, know me and work with me about autism. I got to work  creating this blog that I utilize to share my story on.   As Dr. Stephen Shore is quoted saying: If you've met one person with autism. You've only met one person with autism!" Autism is a spectrum so each person who has it requires a diffe...