Autism affects 1 in 68 people. It is even more prominent these days. You probably know a friend, family member or co-worker with autism. Autism is truly a spectrum. One person with autism might be able to express themselves well. Another person with autism might be unable to do this. It takes an village to support people with autism. It takes parents, friends, family, job coaches if they work and support professionals.
When I was a diagnosed many years ago with autism, it was devastating. I wondered if I would ever have a job, have friends or even just be accepted. I quickly realized that autism wasn't a negative label for me. It was a diagnosis of AWESOMENESS. I wanted to use my strengths everyday of public speaking, fixing computers and other types of technology and planning events. I have always had a knack for fixing technology. I have grown up going to the Apple Store and watching the Apple specialists fix laptops and phones.
Life in high school was hard with autism. I became actively involved in Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, leadership development, integrated employment and inclusive living for people with disabilities. Best Buddies helped me belong. I quickly gained new friends- I became friends with football, baseball and basketball players and student government officers. One of my closest friends was Jackson Parker, whose dad Doug is the CEO of American Airlines. Best Buddies also gave me opportunities to share my story in front of of over 4,000 people at assemblies and ultimately Chaparral's graduation in May 2014. The students who were auditioning to speak knew me from my work within our school's Best Buddies club. I ultimately made history as the first person with a disability to be chosen to speak.
An ongoing struggle that people with autism face is finding jobs. This phrase shouldn't exist. I have worked all my life. In high school, I interned for Best Buddies Arizona. Although it was not paid, I learned valuable skills like how to answer phones, assist with data entry and greeting guests. I also learned how to take feedback from my boss Trevor. The feedback I received from him was very valuable. Life after high school. I knew I wanted to work. We found out about Vocational Rehabilitation. This experience was not so good with VR. My counselor at the time Robin told me I would NEVER WORK a competitive job. I went on to complete the Project SEARCH program at Medtronic and got a job at Christ Lutheran School. I proved her wrong.
We look at me now. I have an amazing job at BridgeWater Assisted Living, owned by Solterra Management. I interviewed for this position the same way all other candidates do. I sent them resume and application and they scheduled an interview. During the interview, I talked about my hopes for work, my involvement in Best Buddies and my experience with seniors. In between, the interview, I responded to their emails promptly. Ultimately. I accepted the Dining Room Attendant position. I assist with tasks like restocking sodas and, preparing desserts for meal delivery and breaking down boxes in general. In the dining room, I serve desserts, drinks and clean tables. My proudest accomplishment with this job is that I graduated last week from VR services. My case closed last Wednesday. I am doing well and thriving at work. My team and boss truly believe in me. The team often has a tough time saying goodbye. They have said to me several times how they dread days when they have to work when I am not there. The feeling is mutual. My heart is big and I love my job. I know there are bigger things in store. My one year work anniversary with BridgeWater/Solterra is September 8! We also have fun by listening to music and dancing. The conversations I have with the senior residents are unforgettable.
One of my best facts about me is that I live independently at First Place-Phoenix. I live in my own apartment, which has photos of my family and a sign that reads "We walk with Lindsey. AZ School Boards" on display. My old employer gave me this sign when we did the autism walk together. At First Place-Phoenix, I cook my own meals, do laundry and clean my apartment. My motto for everyday is that "nothing is impossible!" If I want can imagine it, I can do it. If I am no working on goals, I like to hang with friends and attend First Place- Phoenix Community Life events. One of my interesting facts is that we originally trained staff as part of the Council of Resident Engagement. Two of our original hires Nina and Jessica are still with us. One of our support specialists is going to start college in the coming year for VR counseling. She's going to ask me what makes a good counselor. Of course I have good tips.
I am lucky enough to have an amazing boyfriend who I have been dating for 5 years named Adam. Adam and I have been done everything from attending Diamondbacks and Suns games, going bowling and just simply meeting each others families and friends. Adam graduated from VR services too. He recently told me that when I would complete VR services I would experience new confidence. This is true. Adam is no doubt my best friend, rock and soulmate. He loves me unconditionally and I love him too.
Autism Awareness Day is April 2, 2021, but in my opinion Autism Awareness should be all year long. Here are some ways to support autism awareness:
1. Buy SARRC Beneficial Beans gear: Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center's Beneficial Beans gifts and gear create opportunities for employment for people with autism. SARRC and Beneficial recently launched shirts that read: Appreciate, encourage, empower, employ someone with autism!"
2. Hire someone with autism: While you might not know someone has autism, giving them a chance at work means the world to them. Organizations like Best Buddies, SARRC and HOPE Group all have clients/participants who are looking for employment. If you are an HR professional or if you work in operations, consider hiring more people with disabilities.
3. Wear blue: Like I said, Autism Awareness Day in April 2. But you can wear blue at anytime. Wear blue jeans, blue shirts and blue masks in the community, Blue is the color of autism.

Comments
Post a Comment